Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bacon, Tomato & Onion Pasta


So, we have had a busy past couple of weeks.  We were out of town for two weeks visiting family.  While it was great to be with everyone, I can't say I was sorry to be home.  I missed my house, my bed, most of all cooking.  The night we got home, all I wanted was comfort food.  And when I think comfort food, I think of something I grew up on and ate very frequently- pasta. 
I got this recipe awhile ago out of a Rachel Ray magazine.  I made a few changes and halved the recipe.  To me, this was simple comfort food.  It only has a few ingredients and is not anything fancy, but it defintely hit the spot.   Oh, and I don't normally cook with bacon, but we had some left over, so this recipe was perfect.

Bacon, Tomato & Onion Pasta adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine

8 oz. thin spaghetti
5 slices of bacon
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 large egg yolk
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan  cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2-3/4 cup reserved pasta cooking water
salt and pepper

In boiling, salted water, cook spaghetti until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water.  In a large pan, cook 5 slices of bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon and discard most of the bacon fat, except 1 tablespoon.  Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring until softened.  Add chopped tomatoes of and cook for 2 minutes more.  Add pasta water (start with 1/2 cup) and bring to a boil.  Add the rest of the water if needed.  Stir in the spaghetti and remove from heat.  Stir in the egg yolk.  Add the bacon and 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve with extra cheese on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment